Early Career Forum | April 3, 2019
If you are a predoctoral student, a postdoctoral trainee, or an early career faculty member who wants to network, share ideas and experiences, and advance academic and professional development skills, then the Early Career Forum is for you! The Early Career Forum is an interactive event designed to enhance academic career development and grow future generations of leaders in the pain community. This year's new lineup includes a mentor networking event and breakout sessions focused on various career development topics.
Mentor Networking Event: Come interact with and gain insights from interdisciplinary senior faculty researchers and clinicians. Networking groups will be organized based on discussion topics selected by attendees. Check out the list of 2019 mentors!
Breakout Session Options: Registrants will receive an email to participate in breakout sessions offered from this list (subject to change):
- Day in the Life of a Grant at NIH: Learn about the different types of NIH grants and how the grant submission process works.
- Aims 101: Learn to craft compelling Specific Aims. Participants will have the opportunity to receive feedback on research ideas and draft aims from clinical, basic, and translational science senior faculty.
- NIH Grant Roundtable: Bring your grant questions to a roundtable discussion on Research Fellowship, Training, and Career Development grants with NIH faculty.
- Mock Study Section: Learn about the peer-review process by observing the review of a Career Development K23 Award (clinical), Exploratory/Developmental R21 Grant (basic science), or a Research Project R Grant (translational) by faculty experienced in the scientific peer review process.
- Non-academic Career Opportunities: Participate in a panel discussion focused on how to identify and engage in alternate career paths, including pharma/industry and policy.
The Early Career Forum Aims to
- Facilitate networking to share ideas and experiences and to develop new collaborations
- Provide opportunities for early career members to interact with senior researchers and clinicians within the American Pain Society
- Enhance early career members' professional development
- Promote education as an important component of pain research and treatment
- Grow future generations of leaders in the pain community
Wednesday, April 3, 2019
|12:15pm||Check-In, Obtain Mentor Table Assignments||2nd Floor Foyer|
|1-2pm||Mentor Networking Event||202ABC|
|2-2:30pm||Coffee Social||2nd Floor Foyer|
|2:30-3:15pm||Breakout Session 1|
|NIH Grant Mechanisms (The Life of a Grant)||202ABC|
|R21 Mock Study Section (Basic Science)||202DE|
|K23 Mock Study Section (Clinical Science)||201AB|
|3:30-4:15pm||Breakout Session 2|
|R01 Mock Study Section (Translational Science)||202DE|
|Non-Academic & Industry Panel||201AB|
|4:15-5:15pm||Early Career Reception||2nd Floor Foyer|
In order to register for the Early Career Forum, attendees must be registered for the full Scientific Meeting.