Call for Proposals for Junior Clinical Investigators
Tuesday, March 6, 10 am-1 pm PT
Junior investigators who are planning a clinical research study are invited to submit a summary of their proposed research to this ACTTION-APS workshop for an opportunity to obtain constructive feedback to improve research design and execution. (Junior investigator is defined as a Resident, Fellow, Instructor, Assistant Professor, or equivalent title.)
Up to five proposals will be selected for review by workshop panelists. Authors of selected proposals will be provided a $1,250 honorarium to support attendance of the APS meeting. Proposals may include observational or randomized studies performed using primary or previously collected data from human subjects or electronic data from registries or eRecord data sources.
The two-part workshop will include:
- Short, didactic presentations discussing the advantages and limitations of different clinical research designs (i.e., case-control study, cohort study, and randomized clinical trial).
- Review of selected proposals. The review will include constructive feedback regarding clarity of hypotheses, merit of research methods, and feasibility. The goal of the review panel is to address issues common to many proposals to ensure an educational experience for all junior investigators who attend the workshop in addition to those whose proposals are selected.
Proposals should include:
- Brief background/significance (max 500 words)
- Methods (including entry criteria, data sources, primary and secondary outcome measures, analyses, and methods that are pivotal to the particular study design (e.g., level of blinding in a RCT))
- Potential pitfalls and alternatives
- Description of the funding secured for the project or funding sources the applicant plans to pursue for the project
- Applications should be accompanied by a CV and letter from the Department Chairperson affirming the applicant's title
Proposals should not exceed 3 pages using 11pt Arial font and 1" margins. References do not count in the page limits.
The deadline to submit proposals is midnight November 30, 2017 Pacific Time.
The workshop will be held in conjunction with the APS Scientific Summit and will overlap with some education sessions. For any questions regarding this application or workshop, please contact Jennifer Gewandter at Jennifer_gewandter@urmc.rochester.edu