Upcoming NASEM Workshop
- Review the current state of evidence on the effectiveness of nonpharmacological treatments and integrative health models for pain management, as well as available evidence on use patterns and patient interest. Examples may include acupuncture, manual therapies, physical therapy and exercise, cognitive behavioral therapy, tai chi, yoga, meditation, and neurostimulation.
- Consider multimodal approaches and potential synergies between pharmacological and nonpharmacological approaches to pain management.
- Consider multimodal approaches and potential synergies between devices and nonpharmacological approaches to pain management.
- Discuss research gaps and key questions for further research.
- Examine health professions' current approaches for educating students, trainees, and practicing clinicians on nonpharmacological pain management, and discuss potential next steps to improve training and education within and across health professions.
- Explore policies, such as those related to reimbursement, that would enable broader dissemination and implementation of evidence-based nonpharmacological treatments when appropriate.